The Business Inquiries allow users to search and retrieve data and images maintained in the Business Database.
The Business Database is a collection of files that records business filings submitted to, and approved by the Ohio Secretary of State.
The database maintains records For Profit Corporations, Non-Profit Corporations, Professional Associations, Foreign Corporations, Foreign Name Registrations, Business Trusts, Real Estate Trusts, Fictitious Names, Trade Names, Limited Liability Companies,Limited Liability Partnerships, Limited Partnerships, Trademarks, Service Marks, and Name Reservations.
These filings are recorded and maintained in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code.
All business filings were manually maintained prior to 1973. The office then began entering new filings into a computerized system. Data for businesses that were formed prior to 1973 was entered into the computerized system if they were still active at that time. The data for businesses that were not active in 1973 and have not reinstated, has been partially entered into the system.
Images of approved filings were maintained on microfilm prior to 1997 when office began converting the film for all active businesses to a computerized format. Newly submitted filings since that time have been created and maintained in this computerized format.
All specific Business Inquiries have help screens to assist you with your searching efforts.
Images of approved filings are available for on-line viewing. If an image is in the database it can be viewed by clicking the “Download Image” link on the business details page. Search the on-line inquiries to find the exact Business that interests you, then click on each document link to have the associated image displayed. Images are displayed in PDF format.
(Click here for free download of Adobe Acrobat PDF Viewer.)
You can choose to download an image to your PC by right clicking on the document link, choosing ‘Save Target As’ from the shortcut menu and selecting the directory where you want to save the image.Images that have not yet been added to our database can be obtained by contacting the Ohio Secretary of State toll free at 1-877-SOS-FILE or by sending an e-mail request to [email protected]
The web browser software that you are using may not be equipped to view these images. Download the free Google Chrome browser (Click here for free download of Google Chrome) If you cannot view images from your current browser.
Please e-mail all comments and questions to [email protected]
Please call customer service toll free at 1-877-SOS-FILE if you require immediate assistance.
This site uses Acrobat PDF files. Click the icon to download the free viewer.
Data and images provided in searches are for informational purposes only. Any certification of authenticity of this information must be provided by the office of the Ohio Secretary of State.
The names provided for Business Name searches are only names that have been accepted by the office of the Ohio Secretary of State. These will not include names that may be in process. Filings that are in process are accepted on a first come, first served basis. Request for a specific name is NOT guaranteed until you have received approval in writing from the office of the Ohio Secretary of State that your request has been approved.
Business Name Search Glossary of Terms
- Business Name– The current name of the business as it appears on our records.
- Entity Number – The entity number is a unique identifier assigned to a business by the Ohio Secretary of State. It is a ‘Charter Number’ for Domestic Corporations. It is a ‘License Number’ for Foreign Corporations. It is a “Registration Number” for Domestic and Foreign Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, Trusts, Trade Names, Fictitious Names, Name Reservations, Trademarks, and Service Marks,
- Type– The structure of business based on the filing on record.
- Filing Date – The date the original filing was effective.
- Status – The status of the business as defined by the Ohio Secretary of State. This will be either active, hold, canceled or dead.
- Active – On record as actively engaged in business. These names are protected if the business is the type to have name protection.
- Hold – Canceled by a Secretary of State for failure to comply with a legal requirement. These names will remain protected for 1 year after cancellation.
- Canceled – Canceled by a Secretary of State. These names will not be protected.
- Dead– On file as no longer engaging in business following a voluntary dissolution by the business. These names will not be protected.
Agent Contact Information Glossary of Terms
- Agent Name– The name of the current primary contact for this business. It is the ‘statutory agent name’ for Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, Business Trusts, Real Estate Trusts and Limited Liability Partnerships. It is the ‘registrant name’ for Trade Names, Trade Marks, Service Marks, Fictitious Names and Marks of Ownership.
- Agent Address– The address information for the agent or registrant.
- Agent Effective Date– The date the agent or registrant appointment was effective.
- Agent Status– A field that indicates whether this agent is active or inactive for this business.
Business Details & Filings Terms
- Business Name- The current name of the business as it appears on our records.
- Filing Type– The structure of the business based on the document on our records.
- Original Filing Date– The date the filing or transaction was effective.
- Location: The city and county for domestic corporations.
- Exp. Date: The date the entity will expire which will apply to nonprofit corporations, trade names, fictitious names, trademarks, service marks and registrations of foreign corporate names.
- Additional Filing Type Info-The name of the filing or description of the document on record with our office.
- Date of Filing: The date that particular filing was effective.
- Document ID– An internal identification number assigned by the Ohio Secretary of State to a filing.
- Download Image to PDF: A link to the PDF image of the filing. If no link appears, then the document does not have an image available. For more information please contact the Ohio Secretary of State at 1-877-SOS-FILE or [email protected]
Prior Business Name Information Glossary of Terms
- Prior Name – A name that was previously used by a business.
- Change Date – The date on which the name change was effective.
- Business Name – The current name of the business as it appears on our records.
Click to download PDF viewer.